Farnborough Sixth Form College
- Location: Farnborough
- Architect: Broadway Malayan
- Main Contractor: Bowen PLC
- M&E Contractor: Walsh Mechanical and Electrical
To provide natural ventilation (via stack effect) and winter heating to classrooms, atrium and corridors.
The Sixth Form College Farnborough is one of Britain's top sixth form colleges. It has sought to retain and build upon its reputation as a distinguished major provider of the highest quality academic and vocational education.
This new Arts and Science Block building will have a total floor area of approximately 3,000sqm spanning three storeys' and a roof top plant room. It is naturally ventilated with an anticipated BREEAM assessment of "Very Good".
To achieve the desired effects within the building Colt used a variety of solutions:
- Automatically controlled window actuators to provide through put ventilation for the front foyer and corridors via high level glazed smoke and heat extract ventilators
- Fixed Solar Shading on the South facing facade
- High and low level window actuators linked to CO and temperature sensors with a maximum opening of 100mm.
- Caloris WRF water sourced heat pump units installed to provide boost cooling and heating throughout the winter.
- Colt External heat pump units to control the temperature of the water loop of between no less than 15°C and no more than 30°C. Due to this wide bandwidth, it is normal for these heat pumps to run no more than 15% per annum.
- Roof top double bank louvre turrets with internal controllable dampers to regulate the flow of air and eliminate rain entry.
- Colt Kameleon glazed smoke and heat extract units to provide ventilation for the main corridors.
- The central hub of any multi-mode system, the Colt ICS 4 Link control system. Linking to the main Building Management system, the Colt ICS 4 link controls the natural ventilation system, all 200 window actuators and the Caloris WRF heat pump system it is also linked into external rain sensors and internal smoke, temperature and CO sensors.